Our Mission, Vision & Values
The University of South Carolina Beaufort (USCB) responds to regional needs, draws upon regional strengths, and prepares graduates to contribute locally, nationally, and internationally with its mission of teaching, research, and service. USCB is a senior baccalaureate campus (1,400 to 3,000 students) of the state's largest public university. It offers degree programs in the arts, humanities, professions, and social and natural sciences delivered through on-site instruction and distance education, along with an active program of co-curricular activities and athletics. It serves a racially and culturally diverse student body, including military personnel, veterans and their dependents, and draws students from the South Carolina Lowcountry, from around the country, and from around the world. USCB enriches the quality of life for area residents of all ages through its academic programs, continuing education, artistic and cultural offerings, community outreach, collaborations with regional initiatives, and life-long learning opportunities.
Approved on December 18, 2012
by the USCB Board of Trustees
Approved June 7, 2013
by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
The University of South Carolina Beaufort will be a university of academic distinction that is student centered and community engaged.
As we, staff and administrators, work together with faculty, students and our fellow staff members to support the mission of USCB, our interactions will be guided by the following principles:
- Integrity: possessing and steadfastly adhering to high moral principles or professional standards. At USCB, we view integrity as a willingness to be transparent in our dealings and a desire to treat all members of the university community with fairness and respect.
- Collaboration: working together with one or more people in order to achieve a common goal. At USCB, we view collaboration with individuals, departments and outside partnering agencies as a means to develop better ideas and implement them more successfully.
- Innovation: creatively inventing, introducing and implementing new ideas, approaches or tools to increase our effectiveness and efficiency. At USCB, we view innovation, both in our educational and research processes and in our internal operations, as an important measure of our growth as an institution.
- Responsiveness: reacting quickly, strongly, and positively to a constituent’s need, suggestion or proposal. At USCB, we believe that responsive individuals show compassion and genuinely desire to assist others.
- Accountability: accepting one’s responsibility to others in the organization and for one’s own work role. Accountability at USCB centers on the effectiveness of our educational and student support functions and the business processes that underlie them.
- Excellence: committing to reach a level of superior and outstanding performance. At USCB, we aim to serve our students and the communities in our region with distinctive programs tailored to their needs and strengths.