Welcome to the Department of Fine Arts!
The Department of Fine Arts provides students with a focus in studio art practice and theory, supported by art history, within the context of the liberal arts. Our curriculum offers breadth of experience at the fundamentals level in Studio Arts and Media Arts, encouraging depth of study through upper level classes that explore their discipline of choice.
Our Studio Arts (ARTS) classes provide students with a solid foundation in design theory and practice, offering classes in 2D Design, 3D Design, Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Ceramics, Sculpture Digital Photography, and Graphic Design. Our Media Arts (MART) concentration applies fine arts skills to digital media through experiential learning on real-world projects and internships, with classes in Media Design, Digital Imaging, Digital Animation, Broadcast Design, and Video Game Design.
As part of a liberal arts education at USCB students are trained for careers as professional artists, as well as prepared for graduate study through exposure to practice-based research methods. Combining the university experience with intense studio arts practice will help students apply their knowledge in today's changing world, providing the background needed for a successful career in the arts.
The BA in Studio Art Degree objectives:
- Promote students' visual and conceptual development with exposure to a wide range of artistic ideologies, styles, and media
- Introduce artistic diversity in the studio arts practice by integrating both contemporary and historical perspectives in a global context
- Engage students in activities that relate to the professional arts field including internships, guest lecturers, exhibits, curatorial work, and community events
- Establish a learning environment that encourages cooperation and collaboration with other departments, as well as the local community in the region and the state
- Provide students with a diverse choice of media, knowledgeable and experienced faculty, and well equipped facilities to foster technical and creative growth and development
- Provide students with a creative environment to develop problem-solving and perceptual skills that enable them to realize a concept into a finished work of art
Art and design is all around us, and an integral part of every aspect of society. Graduates of USCB's Studio Art program are prepared to apply their knowledge in a wide array of career paths:
Exhibiting Artist - Painter, Sculpter, Printmaker, Ceramicist, etc.
Commercial Artist - Graphic Designer, Digital Photographer, Illustrator, etc.
Media Artist – Animator, Visual FX Artist, Broadcast Designer, etc.
Interactive Designer - Video Game Designer, Web & UI Designer, etc.
Arts Educator - College Faculty, K-12 Art Teacher, Museum Presenter, etc.
Other - Art Therapist, Arts Manager, Simulation Artist, etc.
Latest Fine Arts News!
- New interdisciplinary Film Minor that features MART classes!
Spring 2017 Semester Events:
- Feb 18th: Film & Digital Media Symposium
- Jan 27th: Emerging Artists Competition
- See more happenings on our Events Page
For more information about us:
Kim Keats, MFA
Interim Department Chair of Fine Arts
Historic Beaufort Campus
206 Sea Islands Center
Historic Beaufort Campus
216-A CFA Building