Powerful futures. Discovered.
Biology Program Goals
- Provide students with a diverse knowledge in the biological sciences and significant
exposure to the physical sciences.
- Prepare students for careers in the medical and health professions, environmental
and natural resource management, and conservation areas.
- Foster a fundamental understanding for the process of science and an appreciation
for how the life sciences and other areas of science impact our everyday lives and
the future of the natural world.
- Provide students with the scientific background needed to understand and participate
in the burgeoning biotechnological revolution.
- Provide students with the opportunity to understand themselves and their world from
a scientific perspective.
- Serve as a necessary core area in science to allow the development of the other traditional
sciences and foster the development of other interdisciplinary minors and majors.
- Provide promising undergraduate students with significant research experiences
- Provide much needed opportunities for interaction with the local citizenry concerning
environmental and health care issues and environmental issues through formal classroom
instruction, internships, seminars, and informal educational opportunities at local
Upon successful completion of the biology degree the student should…
- possess an understanding of biological systems at the molecular, physiological, organismal,
and ecological levels;
- demonstrate critical thinking skills, analytical techniques, and problem solving skills
applied to biological problems;
- possess a knowledge of classical research leading to the fundamental concepts and
principles that serve as the foundation for biological inquiry; and
- be able to apply the scientific method to expand scientific knowledge and understanding.