University Policies

The following relevant University policies are excerpted from our most recent Undergraduate Bulletin and provided here for your convenience. Please feel free to review the complete Undergraduate Bulletin.

Distance Learning Activities
Courses are offered each fall, spring and summer semester via online, Interactive Video Conferencing, etc. Students interested in courses offered through distance learning must be admitted through undergraduate admissions. All courses meet the same university standards of prerequisites, sequence, etc., that are required in residence work and are subject to the same academic regulations.

Right of Petition
Undergraduate students who wish to request an exception to the academic regulations regarding admissions or academic progression at the university should apply to the USCB Admissions and Petitions Committee through the Registrar’s Office. The student’s petition for a modification of academic regulations must be submitted with a recommendation from the Department Chair. Should the student’s request be denied by the Committee, the student may appeal to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The Executive Vice Chancellor’s response may be reviewed by the Chancellor, whose response will be final.

Cancelled Classes
Occasionally a class will be cancelled due to insufficient enrollment or for some other reason. When this happens, the Office of the Registrar will automatically remove the students from the class and give them the option of either seeing their advisor and adding another class by the deadline to add classes, or taking a 100% refund. Students are not responsible for withdrawing in this instance; however students are responsible for adding any additional courses on VIP.

Dropping a Course
Courses from which the student withdraws by the last day to change a course schedule or drop without a grade of "W" will not be recorded on a student’s permanent record. Thereafter, during the first six weeks of a semester, the grade of "W" will be recorded on a student’s transcript, but the semester hours will not enter into the computation of hours attempted, grade point average, or any other totals. In summer sessions and other shortened sessions this period will be 43 percent of the total number of class hours instead of six weeks. Students dropping a course or withdrawing from the university after the first six weeks of a semester will normally receive a grade of "WF". A "WF" is treated as an "F" in the evaluation of suspension conditions and in computing the student’s grade point average. Students who stop attending classes without officially withdrawing will have the grade of "F" recorded for all courses. This grade is included in all calculations and totals. Dropping all classes does not constitute formal withdrawal from the university. Withdrawal from courses after the last day of classes is not permitted.

Exceptions to the assignment of a grade of "WF" are possible for verifiable, documented reasons. If a student must either drop a course or withdraw from the university for medical reasons, because of a verified learning disability, or for another acceptable major cause after the penalty date (last day to receive a "W"), the grade of "W" may still be assigned. A Request for Assignment of a "W" Grade for Extenuating Circumstances After Penalty Date form, available from the Registrar's Office, must be approved by the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the course instructor(s).

Withdrawal from the University
All full or part-time students wishing to withdraw from the university or to discontinue enrollment from all courses for the semester should apply to the Office of the Registrar for an Application for Withdrawal form. The Office of the Registrar is available to assist students in completing the withdrawal process. Students requesting withdrawal for extenuating circumstances after the penalty date (last date for "W" grade) should see the Registrar.

Withdrawal from courses after the last day of classes is not permitted. Students absent from any final exams will be given a grade of "F" for the course if they have not provided an excuse acceptable to the instructor. A final examination may be made up at the discretion of the instructor within the university’s examination period with permission from the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

The date of withdrawal from the university will be posted on student transcripts. Any student withdrawing within the scheduled refund period (per Refund Schedule) can expect to receive a refund through the mail in approximately four to six weeks (see Refund Procedures). If at the time of withdrawal the student has any financial obligations to the university, these will be deducted from any refund due. Refunds to those students who received and used financial aid in payment of academic fees may be applied toward repayment of financial aid.

Course Credit
The credit value of each course at USCB will normally be determined by the amount of formal instruction time per week for one semester. At least 700 minutes of instruction (and at least twice that for laboratory time) can be expected per credit hour. Credit hours for internships, field experiences, study abroad and other non-traditional lecture/laboratory courses will be determined based on state accreditation requirements, specialized accreditation requirements and best practices in the discipline or area of study. The semester hour credit for each course will be included in each course description.

No student suspended from USCB for any reason may earn academic credit during the period of suspension, whether by residence elsewhere or by correspondence courses of any origin.
Remedial courses may not be used to meet degree requirements.

Credit by Examination
Currently enrolled students may obtain credit by examination in a course in which they have had no class attendance or semester standing; permission must, however, be obtained from the Department Chair and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. A grade of not less than "B" on the examination is necessary in order to receive credit for the course. Examinations are not permitted in courses in which a student previously has been enrolled regularly or as an auditor. The applicant must pay the Business Office in advance of the examination a fee of $25 per semester hour; this fee is not refundable. The Business Office will issue a receipt which must be shown to the person conducting the examination, who shall immediately report the results of the examination to the Office of the Registrar. Credits earned under this regulation are recorded with hours earned only.

Transfer Credit
Students transferring to the university from another college or university must, before enrolling in class at the university, have their transcripts evaluated by the Director of Admissions and the Department Chair of the program in which they are enrolled. It is only in the light of such evaluation that students will know definitely which transferred courses will be applicable toward USCB degree requirements.

Academic courses completed at regionally accredited institutions are normally transferable to USCB. As a general rule, courses that are occupational or technical in nature, essentially remedial in nature, from a two-year institution which are considered upper division or upper level at the university, or from a two-year institution that are not listed as part of that institution’s college parallel program are not acceptable for transfer to USCB. Exceptions to this rule may be made with endorsement by the Department Chair and approval by the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and only in specific cases where such courses are judged to be uniquely relevant to the student’s degree program.

A student transferring from an institution not accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association may validate by examination hours earned at the unaccredited institution. Full information concerning validation procedures may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office.

No transfer credit will be accepted for an equivalent course of which a student has been enrolled previously at the University unless the academic work presented for transfer represents a minimum of a full year of work at the other institution. Similarly, students cannot receive degree credit for a course taken at the University if they have received transfer credit for an equivalent course taken previously at another institution. Credit for summer school, correspondence and extension work completed at other institutions by a USCB student will not be accepted by transfer if the student has previously been enrolled in an equivalent course at USCB. Credit for other courses will be accepted only under the conditions that each course has been approved in advance by the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and such approval filed with the Office of the Registrar; and each course has been passed with a grade adequate for transfer purposes.

The Request to Earn Credit through Special Enrollment form is available from the Office of the Registrar. Credits earned while a student is on academic suspension from the university cannot be applied toward a degree or used in improving the grade point average.

A maximum of 15 semester hours earned by correspondence and credit awarded for educational experiences in the military may be applied toward meeting the requirements for an associate degree. A maximum of 30 semester hours earned by correspondence and credit awarded for educational experiences in the military may be applied toward meeting the requirements for a baccalaureate degree. Hours of credit which may be awarded for educational experiences in the military should be in accordance with recommendations published by the American Council on Education and be consistent with university policy on the transfer of credit but will only be applied to a degree program upon the approval of the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit earned while classified as a non-degree special student in the university may be applied toward meeting the requirements for a baccalaureate degree.

A student planning to pursue work at other institutions or through correspondence must complete this work before attaining senior classification (90 semester hours). To earn a degree from USCB, the last 25% of semester credit hours earned (usually 30 credits) must be earned in residence at USCB (Fifteen semester hours must be completed in residence to receive the A.A. or A.S. degree in the Military Program.). At least half of the hours of the student’s major courses and of minor courses (if applicable) must be taken at USCB. Some programs impose greater student residence and/or major requirements.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The University awards credit by examination to certain CLEP subject examinations only. By attaining an acceptable score, a student may receive credit equal to that normally earned in the comparable university course. To receive credit, the student must have the official examination results sent to the Office of Admissions, University of South Carolina Beaufort, One University Boulevard, Bluffton SC 29909.

CLEP credit is awarded in the following subject areas: Introductory Accounting, Introductory Business Law, Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Freshman College Composition, Analysis and Interpretation of Literature, American Literature, English Literature, American History I: Early Colonization to 1877, American History II: 1865 to the Present, Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648, Western Civilization II: 1648 to Present, College Algebra, College Algebra and Trigonometry, Calculus with Elementary Functions, Trigonometry, General Biology, General Chemistry, American Government, General Psychology, Educational Psychology, Introductory Sociology.

Credit Granted for Educational Experiences in the Military
USCB recognizes the educational experiences and training which members of the armed forces receive during their time of service. Academic credit may be awarded for educational experiences in the military if they are in accordance with recommendations published by the American Council of Education (ACE) and
181 are consistent with university policy on transfer of credit. Credit will be applied to a degree program upon approval. For more information contact the USCB Military Programs Office.