Development & Foundations
University of South Carolina Beaufort Office of Development and the University of South Carolina Foundations
The Office of Development of the University of South Carolina Beaufort has the following objectives:
• To provide academic, athletic, and other scholarships to those students who, by past performance, have demonstrated their ability and desire to excel.
• To support the educational programs of the University and to promote and aid in providing continuing educational programs for faculty, alumni, and other interested parties and to aid in the development of new and innovative programs which will benefit the University of South Carolina Beaufort.
• To promote, encourage, and aid investigation and research by the faculty, staff, and students of the University of South Carolina Beaufort.
• To promote the recruitment and retention of a superior faculty encouraging and aiding their professional development through support of such academic pursuits as the establishment of academic chairs and distinguished professorships; the support of visiting professors and special seminar programs; and support of other programs which will assure the proper intellectual environment for faculty growth at the University of South Carolina Beaufort.
• To support the establishment and implementation of a long-range program of fundraising for the University of South Carolina Beaufort in order to promote the development of new academic programs at the University and to provide a mechanism for the improvement and expansion of existing programs at the University of South Carolina Beaufort.
• To continue to build endowment funds, the income from which is expended for the benefit of the University of South Carolina Beaufort.
• To promote, support, and aid any and all other activities and programs which will further the mission of the University of South Carolina Beaufort.
The Office of Development is a department within the division of University Advancement, which is a division of the University of South Carolina Beaufort. The University is a unit of the University of South Carolina, which is an agency of the State of South Carolina.
The Office of Development achieves its objectives by providing counsel and assistance to the University community, friends, and supporters about ways to procure and establish private gift support to help the University supplement state appropriations and other government grants and contracts. Private gift support is encouraged from faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents, friends, corporations, and private foundations.
USCB is well-positioned to accept all manner of planned gifts through the auspices of our planned giving office in Columbia, including: charitable gift annuity, deferred charitable gift annuity, bequest, insurance, charitable remainder annuity trust, charitable remainder unitrust, charitable lead trust and real property. All gifts made to the Beaufort campus belong to the Beaufort campus and are accounted for as such.
In all its functions, the Office of Development has adopted the policies and procedures of the Office of Development of the University of South Carolina. The Office of Development at USCB carries out routine day to day operations, primarily gift receipting and processing. Funds are invested through the University of South Carolina Foundations, necessitating that all USCB staff work closely with their USC counterparts. All the operations of the Office of Development and its consultative, administrative, and collaborative activities with the University of South Carolina, are conducted in strict observance of the law, which disallows any control, or co-mingling of the funds. The result has been to bring cohesion and uniformity to the policies and procedures for securing private gifts exclusively for use by and on behalf of the University of South Carolina Beaufort.
The University of South Carolina Foundations have a Board of Directors with duly elected officers, which meets regularly with full authority and responsibility for all the Foundations' assets including all private gifts intended for the support of the University of South Carolina Beaufort. Governed by a set of by-laws, all fiduciary activities and other business transactions are open to public scrutiny as provided by law.