Principles of Civility for NEH Seminars,
Institutes, and Workshops
The Endowment's Seminars, Institutes, and Workshops are intended to extend and deepen knowledge and understanding of the humanities by focusing on significant topics, text, and issues; contribute to the intellectual vitality and professional development of participants; and foster a community of inquiry that provides models of excellence in scholarship and teaching.
NEH expects that project directors will take responsibility for encouraging an ethos of openness and respect, upholding the basic norms of civil discourse.
Seminar, Institutes, and Workshop presentations and discussions should be:
• firmly grounded in rigorous scholarship, and thoughtful analysis;
• conducted without partisan advocacy;
• respectful of divergent views;
• free of ad hominem commentary;
• devoid of ethnic, religious, gender or racial bias
The NEH welcomes comments, concerns, or suggestions on these principles at firstname.lastname@example.org.