History of Life-Long Learning at USCB
Lifelong learning at USCB is more than 24 years old. In 1991, the Creative Retirement Center, later called the Learning eXchange (TLX), was created at USCB to allow people to engage in continuous learning. In July 2005, the lifelong learning program at USCB was notified by the Osher Foundation that USCB was selected to become part of the OLLI network.
Mission: OLLI at USCB is devoted to providing quality, intellectually stimulating, not-for-credit, educational classes and programs specifically developed for adults who are age 50 and older. Any adult who is interested in lifelong learning is welcome to join. There are no educational requirements. Backgrounds may differ, but all participants share a desire to keep intellectually active.
We offer a wide variety of classes—philosophy, history, art, music, current events, political issues, religion, science, literature, languages, and many others. Our classes are very popular. There are over 1,500 members who register for more than 13,500 hours of class time. We have three Terms; Fall (September - December), Winter/Spring (January -May) and a lighter Summer Session (May-June-July).
Benefits of your OLLI membership include:
- Access to special educational OLLI events and trips around the region
- Access to over 400 OLLI courses per year (additional term fee needed)
- Summer classes are free to members
- On-line registration service available for OLLI programs
- Access to the “Community of Scholars” program at USCB’s campus libraries. You are able to check out books at USCB libraries and use the interlibrary loan service.
- Discount tickets to the MET Opera, the Festival Series Chamber music concerts, and other events happening at the Performing Arts Center at USCB in Beaufort
- Discount fees for Continuing Education courses such as computer & language skills
- Discount meals at the Sand Bar Dining Hall on the USCB Bluffton campus
- Participation in the OLLI Low Country Community Concert Band, which practices weekly
- Free parking at the USCB Gateway Campus in Bluffton (student parking areas)
- Curriculum guides, events calendar, special lecture information, e-newsletter and much more.