Apply to Be a Tutor.
Interested in becoming a tutor?
Tutors meet with students in one-on-one and group settings. They facilitate student learning by clarifying specific course content, modeling the use of appropriate study strategies and assisting students in becoming independent learners. In addition to meeting with students, tutors will be responsible for the following activities:
- Keeping up to date with course content
- Communicating with course faculty to obtain course information and to advertise tutoring services
- Maintaining accurate records of each student contact
- Monitoring USCB email regularly for Tutoring Center Updates and appointment information
- Marketing tutoring to the campus community
- Communicating any student concerns to the Coordinator or Academic Support or the Assistant Tutor Coordinator
- Participating in all Tutoring/Writing Center training activities and staff meetings
Starting pay for this position is $8-9 per hour and tutors work roughly 5-7 hours per week.
Tutors are required to…
- Maintain an institutional GPA of a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (applicants with less than a 3.0 institutional GPA will be considered on a case by case basis)
- Have earned a grade of A or B+ or equivalent for each course he or she tutors
- Have the recommendation of the instructor for each course he or she tutors and department chair approval
- Have Integrity – No students with academic integrity violations can serve as peer tutors
- Have the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Practice good time management skills
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
You can apply for tutoring here.