What We Do
The staff academic advisors offer multiple services to students including:
- Academic advising for course selection and registration
- Workshops and individual sessions on time management, study skills, and other academic needs
- Academic and degree progress updates
- Assisting students in identifying incoming transfer and transient courses
- Connecting students with relevant academic and other support services
- Assisting students in making realistic academic plans and decisions based on their goals, interests and abilities
- Addressing concerns over grades, GPA, and/or academic standing
- Interpreting institutional policies and procedures
Please note that we are unable to provide unofficial transcript evaluations for students interested in transferring to USCB. The First Year Advising Office is not involved in official evaluations, and therefore any unofficial evaluation we provide could be inaccurate. If you wish to know how your credits will transfer in to USCB, please complete an application for admission and a transfer articulation specialist will evaluate your coursework.
In addition, First Year Advisors cannot advise students on coursework required for other universities. Since we are only employees of USCB, we are not familiar with degree requirements for other institutions. If a student wishes to enroll in USCB classes in hopes that those will transfer elsewhere, he/she should first contact the Admissions or Advising Office of the future university to find out what courses are needed, and bring that information with him/her to the advising appointment. We will assist as much as possible in guiding you with that information but ultimately that institution makes the final decisions as to which courses will or will not transfer in from USCB.